What In The World of HTML, CSS, Widgets and JavaScript???

Monday, January 11, 2016 Unknown 2 Comments





So I decided to finally take the big plunge and start a blog.  As most bloggers I decided to start working on some content and I swear I did at first but then I realized my Blogger didn't do the things I wanted it to do.  I thought the only thing I needed to know to have a blog is well type! Was I ever wrong.  

Welcome to the world of HTML???  What language is this?  I love that Blogger gives you access to HTML. It looks cool but what does it do? How does it work?  I'm still scared about touching it.  The slightest mistake can make my blogger go boom!!!  Luckily we have the world of Widgets


widg·et
  1. a small gadget or mechanical device, especially one whose name is unknown or unspecified.
    • an application, or a component of an interface, that enables a user to perform a function or access a service.

Widgets in other words are great and can be found under Layout and then click Add A Gadget.  You get a pop up window and the widget that you'll end up using the most is the HTML/JavaScript one. You can add it anywhere on your layout since you can easily move it around after. These widgets are a great way to try out some code without doing any permanent damage to your blog. Enter the code, save, preview blog and delete. Do that enough times and you'll eventually find the code that works for you.  



Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)

is a style sheet language used for describing the presentation of a document written in a markup language.


Luckily I learned about CSS too,  I absolutely love CSS and do my best to use it over touching the HTML code.  It's really easy to enter a code in CSS, You can try a code and well if things go boom it's so easy to delete the new code you entered. It kind of gives us newbies and little idea how code works.  CSS can be found under Template followed by Customize and Advance. Under advance you scroll down to find the CSS option.  Am amazing way to add simple little code to your blog without having to go inside the scary world of HTML code.  I've added several pieces of code into my CSS already.  I enter the code, hit save and well look at the result.  If it goes boom I can easily find and delete the code I entered.  It will always be at the bottom since it was the last one you entered.


HTML

Hypertext Markup Language. a standardized, system for tagging text files to achieve font, color, graphic, and hyperlink effects on World Wide Web pages.


Yikes HTML!!!  It's really cool that a whole bunch of code has created the world of internet that we all can't live without.  I love everything I can do online and am amazed that behind every little thing is some crazy ass code. I'm starting to understand a tiny bit of it but I'm still scared each time I enter EDIT HTML. This can also be found under layout but instead of Customize you click EDIT HTML.  That's all the stuff that makes your Blogger blog. Great thing to learn is the search option. You can do that by clicking inside the code and 

PC
Hold down ctrl, select F

Mac
Hold down command, select F

Many codes require you to enter it within a certain another certain code like </head> and the search tool will help you find that code versus scrolling through all the letters and numbers.  I've entered a bit of code so far via edit HTML but am still scared about using it since I'm horrible at backing up and am worried one day it will go boom and well I'll have no idea how to fix it.  I can search for the code I entered and deleted but am worried the damage won't be reversible . Hope fully after time I'll feel a bit more comfortable about it but for now I try not to use it too often.  I did enter a code that was meant for a widget but I couldn't get it to work out exactly the way I wanted it too without entering it into the scary world of HTML but luckily I did take the chance because the code meant for the widget is working much better inside the HTML code.  

Ja·va·Script
  1. an object-oriented computer programming language commonly used to create interactive effects within web browsers.

JavaScript is nothing but cool.  I don't understand it but it's amazing at the things it can do.  I hope one day I'm able to understand it a bit more but for now the only thing I can do is tweak the code I find.  Luckily these codes are easily entered inside the Widget most times. 

If you want to tweak or understand how all those letters, numbers and punctuation works I suggest you find a website that allows you to test and tweak all the code you find.  There are several websites you can use for free like 

      HTML Try It

CSS Deck  This websites allows you to test with CSS, HTML and JavaScript.

These websites are free and honestly a great place to adjust any code you want to use.  You enter the code, see the result and via that you can easily see and adjust your code without doing any damage. 




2 comments :

  1. Hey, your blog is really pretty! My blog is SUPER ugly but looking at others' blogs just makes me happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just looked at your Blog and it's great too. You've done a great job Ya Prettyness!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.